* Waking up the morning after your team won a game.
* Waking up on Monday morning after your hockey, pro football and college football teams all won over the weekend.
* Having just done the laundry and grocery shopping, because it means you now have the widest available set of options.
* Having a big occasion to which you can look forward… a vacation trip, a visit from far off friends or family, a wild party…
* Seeing that you have more money in your checking account after you’ve paid your bills, than you did at this time last month.
* When your kids (or in my case, someone else’s kids) look happy to see you when you show up.
* Going online and seeing that there is a new Hyperbole and a Half post.
* Getting onto the elevator going down on Friday at 5:00, knowing you have 2 glorious days to do whatever you want. (Like watching movies, sports and fiddling about on the Internet.)
* Any time the Steelers win and the Ravens lose. This is especially true when it’s the same game.
* Getting to pet/hug/adore a golden retriever.
* Writing a blog post that you know is going to kill.
* Then having it actually kill.
* Your bacon cheeseburger arrives and it’s even bigger and better than you anticipated.
* Same goes for fish sandwiches. And pizza.
* When you finally fix something you’ve been putting off fixing and it actually works.
* Seeing that the guy that the cops have pulled over is the same douche that cut you off earlier.
* When someone gets my obscure movie, pop culture and/or Monty Python references.
* Waking up with a chill in the room and you’re all warm under the covers, without it being 6:00 am and you have to get up for work.
* That moment at a concert where the lights finally go down and the band comes out.
* Any time one of those politicians known for railing against gays and those lacking sufficient “family values” gets caught with his pants down and his cock out.
* You go into the break room at work and find leftover cookies from someone else’s meeting.
* Seeing one of your Tweets get re-tweeted.
* You get to the game and your seats are better than you expected.
* Being able to help a friend.
* Meeting someone famous and seeing that they’re not an asshole.
* The moment you realize that you are done with your Christmas shopping.
* Making someone laugh.
* Sunshine on a clear fall day.
Ultimately, it’s like Norman Nardini sings, “Any day above ground is a good day.”
Although I hope there’s an “out” there for a guy that lives in a sunken, ground floor apartment.