Thursday, April 17, 2014

Getting Crabby

My department at work sponsored a March of Dimes fundraiser (you remember how I’m seeking donations?) which featured various crab-related dishes for lunch.  We had crab quesadillas, crab dip and crab soups.  The soups were donated from nearby restaurants. 

One of the donors, Mick O’Shea’s requested that we bring their gallon-sized plastic container back to them.  Because Mick’s is my regular downtown happy hour spot, I volunteered to bring the container back.  I emailed my friend, Sitcom Kelly, figuring it would be a chance for a quick happy hour.  Would have been a shame to waste the trip.

She couldn’t go, though.  But this email chain rose from the ashes.

Sitcom Kelly: Did you have any crab soup?

Bluzdude: Hellz yeah!  It was delish.  Mick’s in particular was real good.

SK: Good to know.  Maybe I’ll get it sometime.

BD: You can eat crab??  (Sitcom Kelly is a vegetarian.)

SK: I “can” eat anything I want.  I’ll eat stuff made with crab meat, but not the actual crab.

BD: The longer I know you, the less sense you make.  But I guess that’s part of your charm.

By that definition, you could also eat pulled pork or chicken nuggets.

SK: Hee hee hee.

BD: Beef or chicken broth.  Hamburgers!  They’re nothing but minced beef… like what’s in crab soup.  (Just all wadded together.)

SK: It makes no sense, I know.

BD:I yam what I yam, and that’s all what I yam.”  ~Popeye… and Sitcom Kelly~

Such is the dichotomy that is Sitcom Kelly.  But I shouldn’t be surprised.  This is the same girl that orders a cheese pizza, and picks off most of the cheese.  I guess Popeye is a vegetarian too, and he does all right. 


Anyway, I couldn’t scare up anyone else to go have a drink, so I just went by myself and figured I’d grab a seat at the bar and see if there was anyone to talk to.  I ended up sitting beside The Catman.  I know this because the bartender and all the wait staff called him Catman, or just “Cat.”  Also, he was wearing a ballcap that said, “CATMAN.”

Just goes to show, you never know who you’re going to meet when you go sit at a bar.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but when I got home, I found a UPS delivery slip on my door.  It’s funny.  Last night, they left a $200 ottoman at my front door.  Earlier this week, they left a $250, 32” flat screen TV at my door.  And now, they won’t leave a $10 surge protector?

Nothing makes sense any more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, crab. I know many vegetarians that make exceptions for seafood. It's like some sort of secret caveat or something.

You haven't lived until you've sampled my crab balls. That's right, I said it.

bluzdude said...

Next time you meet me on the corner for Orioles tickets, bring me a couple! I’ll throw in a couple of bucks…